Hey, girls! This one is for you.

So, when I was a kid, a looooooooooooooooong time ago, I was walking to my grandma's with my Mom. Well, I was walking about two blocks ahead, almost running, which was no easy feat because I was a chubby bookworm kid who never ran. Anyway, I'm rambling (and thanks for putting up with that, too. It can't be easy to wait so long for me to ever get to the point). Anyway, I'm two blocks ahead because my mom was wearing a long "broom" skirt (google it), flip flops and socks. Green socks. Tall, green socks and flip flops. I swore that day, if becoming famous didn't work out and I ended up having kids, I would NEVER embarrass them. EVER. 

I lied. 

But you know this by now. And I'm pretty grateful you still hang out with me . . . in public. Though, at times, I'm convinced you do it just for entertainment value. You do seem to disappear after I am myself, but I always find you. The laughter is pretty loud. 

People ask me how I managed to raise four awesome kids. I tell them: luck and intuition. A little bit of common sense (but only a little. This is me we're talking about here) and a lot of love. And fun.

Brianna, if I wasn't there when you were born, I would swear you are my long lost twin (and don't do that thing you do and debate me on how that would be impossible due to our age difference, just go with me on this, okay?). We look alike, we think alike, we walk alike. But I like that you still want to be seen with me in public. That makes me happy. By the time you were 16, I was prepared for the 2 block drop off and "don't walk near me" talk with rolled eyes. I like that you want to save the world, that makes me proud of you. But I also like that you are a goofball and like to pull pranks on your sisters. They'll appreciate it one day when they learn that pulling pranks on siblings is the best part of childhood. But, yeah, thanks for being so cool and still being willing to be seen with me in public. And I also really like that if people ask if we're sisters and you know I will buy you something, you say yes. I owe you one for that.

Kristin and Kaitlin, you guys are just adorable, with all the twinning that you do. You do tend to walk ahead of me and tell me point blank that I'm a bit nuts. But I know you mean the good kind, not the straight jacket, padded cell kind of crazy. 

Kristin, I like that when you are stressed, you clean. So don't get mad if I cause you stress on purpose, it just means I'm lazy that day and really want the refrigerator cleaned out. I'm sure you understand. And I like that you know I'm really cranky in the mornings so you've started making coffee. I know it's to avoid my grumblings, but I like coffee so it all evens out. 

Kaitlin, you are a funny, funny girl. And so random. Dinnertime is so much more fun when you randomly espouse your love of tacos and food in general. Then laugh and go back to eating. And I like that you are cool with how slightly odd we all are and want us to have a reality show. I know you are hoping that would allow you to meet and marry someone from One Direction. But your willingness to include your whole family in that dream, it's pretty special.

Erin, thank you for being the only one left who will still dance with me, no matter what time, for what reason, or if the curtains are open or not. I like that you will also sing along with me at Walmart or dance a little there, too. After all, it's Walmart. Something has to make it more fun. I also like that when we do Yoga, you add in extra moves. It makes me giggle which takes my mind off the fact that I'm almost 100% convinced that once I'm in a pose, I won't be able to get back up. If you make me laugh hard enough to fall down, we can pretend that's why I'm having a hard time getting up. I appreciate how you got my back.

You all are pretty awesome. Some families are only lucky enough to get one funny kid. I got lucky enough to get four. But, then again, how can you not be? I'm your mom and your dad, well he rocks out to rap while wearing overalls, driving his truck that may or may not have a farm animal in the back. 

You have to have a sense of humor to survive the world you were born into.

But in all seriousness, for just a minute, you make the world a more fun place. That makes it a better place. So, thank you for putting up with me saying stupid things to other people and embarrassing you, dancing in public, serenading you and singing too loud in the car.

I'll love you forever for letting me be myself and still wanting to be seen with me. Even if I'm not buying you anything. 

143

No comments:

Post a Comment