Love of a Lifetime

Yesterday, while at Squaw Creek with the girls, I walked behind them to just watch. I realized as we made our way up, up, up, how strong each of their personalities are. I was so overwhelmed with love for them, I had to stop and catch my breath so I didn't cry. 

Kristin and Kaitlin grabbed hands and ran ahead, stopping only to make sure they were together if one fell behind a bit. 

Brianna, for no fault of her own, had to stop frequently to catch her breath and take a break. But she never let on that she was wearing out and in pain. She just said "I'm okay, let's go!" She was the first one to agree to go back the "Strenuous" path. At the end, she sat in the front seat and collapsed, she was hurting and exhausted . . . but would not let her sickness get in the way. Her strength amazes me. 

Erin just kept saying it was mean of us to trick her. She had no clue so much walking was involved and she had to keep away from poison ivy because what girl is pretty if they swell? She is my princess and I wish tougher. But she is soft and gentle and that is a gift in itself. 

I learned that my daughters are amazing, each in their own individual way. They stand on their own, they stand together. At one point I looked up, we were heading towards a clearing and just like in the movies, the sun broke through and I saw four beatiful girls holding hands, walking along and I saw them again as my babies but also as children on the cusp on becoming ladies. 

And at that point, I let a few tears slide down my face. Gratitude, joy, peace, contentment. No matter what struggles have come at us this past year, no matter what has been lost, I have found so much more. 

A favorite line of mine from the movie "Where the heart is" is . . . How can you love someone so much you just met? 

My only answer is . . . how can you not?

No comments:

Post a Comment